Tuesday 12 July 2016

Simply Prepared Bulgar Wheat Over Salad Greens


Hi! I'm now working from Wordpress. I've edited this post there, reformatted it so that it is much easier to read & follow my recipe. This link will take your directly to the recipe:
Link to my newest and old recipes, click:

Never cooked bulgar wheat before? Now is the time with this simplest of recipes. Cooking time? The time it takes you to bring water to boil.
There was a bag of bulgar wheat (cracked wheat) in my larder. I had bought it months back as I had been meaning to make a middle eastern style kind of salad with nuts, pomegranates, parsley and extra virgin olive oil that I had seen featured a lot recently. 

Clearing my pantry last week, I sighed as I stared at the bulgar wheat. It was one day from its expiry date. I had to cook it for dinner and I really didn't feel like taking out my Honey & Co. cookbook. After half a day of clearing and cleaning my pantry, I wanted take-out instead.

But no, I dislike throwing out food so I made myself open the refrigerator door. As I peered in, out came coriander leaves, spring onions, what was left of last night's roast chicken, some chicken stock and a bag of mesclun.  

And what do you know? All those ingredients were the basis of something tasty! Every other addition are just extras to suit your taste. How tasty do I find bulgar wheat cooked this way?

Tasty enough that I have since gone to the store to get myself a new bag.  Quite ironic as I was so eager to get rid of the one that had been in my pantry. Once I am tired of eating this Simply Prepared Bulgar Wheat, I might just pull out my Honey & Co. cookbook and try out one of their bulgar wheat salad. But for now, I am quite happy to eat this salad yet again.
SIMPLY PREPARED BULGAR WHEAT OVER SALAD GREENS
Prep:
15 minutes (less if you skip the 'extra' toppings of nuts, tomatoes, dried fruit,...)
Cook:
~ 2 minutes or the time it takes you to get some water to boil
Inactive:
20 minutes
Level:
Easy
Serves:
2 - 3 persons
Oven Temperature:
-
Can recipe be doubled?
Yes
Make ahead?
Keeps 2 days refrigerated in air-tight container


Just the ingredients
1 cup bulgar wheat/cracked wheat
~1 and 3/4 cups chicken stock
~ 2 Tablespoons butter
~1/4 teaspoon salt 
~1/4 teaspoon black pepper
~1/8 teaspoon chilli powder/cayenne
~1/2 cup cut cilantro leaves/parsley
~1/4 cup cut spring/green onions
~ 3 cups mesclun
~1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
~1/3 cup dried cranberries/blueberries/cherries/strawberries
~1/3 cup pumpkin/sunflower seeds
~1/3 cup toasted almond slices/walnuts/cashews
~2 cups (~ 2 chicken breasts) rotisserie chicken shredded/sliced
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)
Ingredients

1 cup bulgar wheat/cracked wheat
You could replace with couscous and cooking directions are similar.

~1 and 3/4 cups chicken stock

~2 Tablespoons butter

~1/4 teaspoon salt 

~1/4 teaspoon pepper

~1/8 teaspoon chilli powder/cayenne

~1/2 cup cut cilantro leaves
Parsley would do too.

~1/4 cup cut spring/green onions

~ 3 cups mesclun

~1 cup cherry tomatoes
Sliced in halves.

~1/3 cup dried cranberries/blueberries/cherries/strawberries

~1/3 cup pumpkin/sunflower seeds

~1/3 cup toasted almond slices/walnuts/cashews

~2 cups shredded/sliced store bought rotisserie chicken

Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)

Method

In the pot where you will be cooking the bulgar wheat, toast the almond. The almonds will brown more evenly if your pot is preheated, so preheat on medium-high and when hot, start toasting the almonds, stirring all the time. It will take about 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. 

Toast the pumpkin seeds the same way (~2 minutes) and again, transfer to a plate to cool. 

In the same pot, cook the bulgar according to package instructions but replace the water that they would most likely ask you to use with the chicken stock. 

Alternatively, this is how I cook it.

Bring the water to boil. Then add the butter and the bulgar, Stir to dissolve the butter and when it comes back up to a boil, turn off the burner and cover pot. Leave on burner for 15 - 20 minutes.


Whilst waiting, prepare the other ingredients:-

To add into the pot of bulgar wheat:
  • Cut the coriander leaves/parsley and spring/green onions finely.
  • Salt, black pepper and chilli/cayenne powder
To serve the bulgar wheat:
  • Mesclun should be washed and dried.
  • Tomatoes should be washed and halved.
  • Chicken should be sliced or shredded.
  • Toasted almonds
  • Toasted pumpkin seeds
  • Dried cranberries

After 15 - 20 minutes, fluff up the bulgar wheat with a fork. Taste and add salt if necessary. If it needs more cooking, cover and let it sit over the burner for another 5 minutes. Add more water if it seems too dry but it should not need it. You should be able to see each grain of wheat.

However, if you think the bulgar is way too wet or mushy, then sit a tea towel or a sheet of kitchen paper towel over the pot before covering pot shut with the lid. Leave for 10 minutes before going back to work on it.

Transfer the bulgar to a large bowl. Cool slightly.


Fold in the chopped coriander, spring onions, black pepper and chilli flakes/powder. 

Bulgar wheat can be served hot, cold or at room temperature. So choose how you would like to serve it.

Before dividing the bulgar wheat, taste and adjust seasoning.

Divide mesclun between the serving plates.

Top that with the bulgar wheat.

Next, top with all the extras: chicken, toasted almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and tomatoes.

Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil if you wish.

I have never served this with soup but I imagine it will taste quite nice with some kind of consomme or a light carrot soup.

Tips

Bulgar wheat is so simple and quick to make. I don't understand why it took me so long to realise that I can put a full (and very versatile) meal, complete with a variety of protein and vegetables, on the table faster than I could if I had cooked a pasta or a rice based dish.

I could use boiled eggs, slices of beef, smoked salmon,....
WHAT'S COMING UP NEXT?                                                
I am still in the midst of clearing food stock from my pantry. What did I do with 4 cans of condensed milk? Dulce de leche!

No comments:

Post a Comment