Wednesday 18 June 2014

Crispy Doughnut - like Spanish Churros with a Dusting of Icing Sugar


Hi! I'm now working from Wordpress. I've spent a great deal of time editing and reorganising this post on Wordpress and it is so much friendlier to read & follow my recipe from there. Click on this link to take you directly to the recipe:
Crispy Doughnut-like Spanish Churros
Link to my newest and old recipes, click:

Crispy on the outside, soft with just the right amount of doughiness in the centre. The light dusting of icing sugar melts gently in your mouth bringing the whole taste sensation together. These churros stay crisp well over an hour. Like me, you might not be able to stop eating them. 

Even before they fry, they look delicious.
I like this recipe because it is so easy! I have made it so often, I can get it on the table in 10 minutes. It is a handy recipe to possess when you have guests over and realize you forgot to prepare dessert! 


Crispy Doughnut-like Churros with a Dusting of Icing Sugar   



Prep:
5 minutes 
Cook:
10 minutes
Inactive:
None
Level:
Easy 
Serves:
4 greedy people
Oil Temperature:
360F (180C)
Can recipe be doubled?
Yes. You can pipe the dough out, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. 
Make ahead?
Yes. Mine stay crisp well over an hour. You might want to hold off dusting it with icing sugar until your are ready to serve.
Ingredients

For dough

1 cup water

2 to 3 Tablespoons sugar
I use 2 Tablespoons as that is sweet enough for me.  Remember churros would be 
dusted with icing sugar

1 and 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Use a neutral tasting oil. I use sunflower, safflower or rice bran. Do not use olive oil.

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup all purpose/plain flour

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Do not omit. It makes a big difference in flavour.

Everything else

2 to 3 cups (enough to cover the churros completely) vegetable oil for frying
Do not use olive oil. You are looking for a bland/mild tasting oil. I use either sunflower, safflower or rice bran.

1/3 cup icing sugar for dusting

Directions

In a long handled saucepan, bring the water, oil, sugar and salt to a boil. Have a wooden/silicon spoon or a similar sturdy utensil ready. Turn off heat and remove saucepan from stove. Pour in vanilla extract. Quickly pour flour into the liquid. Hold the saucepan handle firmly and stir vigouroulsy with the wooden spoon until you have a ball of dough. This takes me 1 to 2 minutes. Do not worry too much if you have little pockets of flour. Leave aside until it is cool enough for you to handle.

In the meantime, if you have a large star icing nozzle and piping bag you would want to use them. If not, use a good quality heavy duty plastic bag as a piping bag (I sometimes use two bags, as in a bag within a bag if I think the plastic bag is not hardy enough). Fill the bag with the still warm dough. Cut off a 1.5cm (1/4") width from one corner of the plastic bag. Pipe 5cm (2") long dough and set aside. It is easier to snip off the dough with scissors.

If you do not have piping bags or good quality plastic bags, here is an alternative. Gently roll the dough into 1/2" (1.25 cm) tubes/logs. That's about the width of your finger. Snip off at 2"(5 cm) intervals. Set aside.

Have the oil heated to 360F (180C). Fry dough for 5 minutes turning them often to brown evenly. Remember not to overcrowd pan with too many dough at a time. Once browned, remove and drain before dusting with icing sugar.

Serve and watch the speed at which these churros disappear.

Tips
  • I prefer using icing sugar and not caster sugar.  Besides, the feather like feel of the icing sugar that I like, icing sugar adheres better to the churros and makes less of a mess.
  • When you use a star icing nozzle, the extra ridges means you end up with crispier churros. So use it if you have it. 
  • These should not only be served as dessert, in fact, they are more like sweet snacks!
  • You can dust churros with cinnamon, cloves and/or chocolate powder. Go light on the cloves. A little goes a long way. 
See how crispy they fry up on the outside but are still a little doughy on the inside.
I often serve churros after my version of the Spanish paella. In keeping with the Spanish theme, it makes my dinner parties seem so well thought out. Just remember the Sangria!
WHAT'S COMING UP NEXT?                                                     




And, this is what I am working on. I cooked everything you see here except for the chips. Slow cooked tender pork sandwiches with my crunchy coleslaw that does not turn rubbery with keeping. There is also my 'House Special Pork Sandwich Sauce'.  The buns are also home made. This is great party food for a crowd!

Look out for the recipes.










4 comments:

  1. Looks really easy and yummy. Good you hinted not to use olive oil. The type of oil does make a difference. I cannot imagine what it would taste like with peanut oil. You can make it for me when I am am home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try making it! It is very easy!

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Like the pictures of the steps :)

    ReplyDelete