Sunday 26 April 2015

Ice Cold Yogurt Drink Flavoured With Fruit, Vanilla, Condensed Milk Or Just Sugar


Hi! I'm now working from Wordpress. I've edited this post there, reformatted it so that it is much easier to read & follow my recipe. This link will take your directly to the recipe:
Link to my newest and old recipes, click:

A flavoured yogurt drink is a simple and wonderful way to use up yogurt. It is sweet, icy cold and will quench any thirst.
Help yourself to a yogurt drink. There's Condensed Milk With Vanilla, Strawberry, Mango, Apple and Peach.
When I know I am going to have a particularly spicy meal at an Indian restaurant, I always order their sugar flavoured yogurt drink called Sweet Lassi.  That's the drink in the picture above.

I make sure that the Sweet Lassi is brought to me before my meal. I place it strategically to the front right of me at about 1 o'clock. This allows me swift and easy reach. Only with my drink secured do I then start on my meal. Nothing calms a tongue on fire better than ice cold Sweet Lassi. 

As you have guessed, I am not very good at handling chillies. I am admittedly the chilli wimp when compared to my family and friends who can practically drink up anything with chillies in it without breaking up in a single bead of sweat. I will be the one with sweat dripping down the sides of my face or passed out on the dining room floor.

No strict recipe here, just a ratio of ingredients.
ICE COLD YOGURT DRINK FLAVOURED WITH FRUIT, VANILLA, CONDENSED MILK OR JUST SUGAR
Prep:
5 minutes

Cook:

-

Inactive:

-

Level:

Easy

Serves:


Oven Temperature:

-

Can recipe be doubled?

Yes

Make ahead?

If you do not add fruits, it keeps well refrigerated up to 2 days. If you add fruits, drink up straight away.
Just the ingredients
Basic yogurt drink:
2/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup iced water
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup ice cubes
Any of the extras:
Vanilla extract, condensed milk, peaches, pears, apples (poached or canned ones actually work well here), mangos, strawberries, raspberries, stay away from acidic fruits. 
Ingredients

Basic yogurt drink:

Works on a ratio of 2:1 = yogurt:ice water.

I had 2/3 cup of yogurt in my refrigerator. So my recipe was:

2/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup iced water
2 Tablespoons sugar
Top up drink with 1/4 cup of ice cubes

Any of the extras:
  • 2 Tablespoons condensed milk
This makes the yogurt drink creamier. Skip the sugar or it will be too sweet.
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
I like vanilla! You should try this at least once!
  • ~1/4 cup of soft fruit
For instance: peaches, pears, apples (poached or canned ones actually work well here), raspberries, strawberries, mangoes. Adjust the amount to suit your taste. You might have to add more sugar if the fruits are tart.
  • Stay away from acidic fruits
Method

To prepare the basic yogurt drink

Simply, combine all the ingredients (except the ice cubes) into a tall vessel for easy mixing. 

A hand held emersion blender works great here, if not, stir/whisk until sugar dissolves. Decant into tall glass top up with ice cubes, plonk in a straw and sip away.

To add fruits

Add fruits with all the other ingredients (except the ice cubes). You need at least a blender to whizz the fruits up. 

Alternatively purchase bottled fruit purees from the baby section of supermarkets. Whizz/stir/whisk away until everything is nicely blended and top with ice cubes.

Tips

Hard fruits like pears and apples need to be poached/cooked through to soften first before using.

Bottled pureed fruits are a convenient way to add fruits to yogurt drink. They will not taste as good as fresh fruits but are a good alternative. 

You do need to drink up the yogurt straight away though as it tends to thicken with sitting.
WHAT'S COMING UP NEXT?                                                 
Radish sprouts have a surprisingly peppery bite to it. When you whizz that up with some light sour cream you get an instant sauce with a slightly pungent and sourish kick. It goes very well tossed through some spaghetti and topped with smoky salmon and salty soy flavoured Japanese salmon caviar. 

This recipe was featured as a secondary recipe on an earlier post, Egg And Cress Tea Sandwiches. It was part of a series of recipes that I had posted on an English Afternoon Tea Spread.  I had quite a bit of radish sprouts left after the sandwiches and the sauce was a result of that excess. Quite fortunate I was to have the excess!

Thanks to your feedback, for your easy reference, the recipe will now be posted separately.
English Afternoon Tea. 


Bottom plate second layer: Roast Beef with Beetroot, Salmon

2 comments:

  1. The colors are enticing enough that you want to drink it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such an easy recipe. Try it with just vanilla extract and sugar. Yummy.

      Delete